Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thrifting magic

I think Im an addict. Yes, yes I do have a problem. I just can't STOP THRIFTING!!!! No, I'm no hoarder or extreme couponer but I just can't help the feeling I get when I search and search and find that perfect piece for nothing. I understand some think its gross. Buying someone left over things but where do you think Antique stores get their things? They go hunting!!! They hit the thrift stores, the flea markets, estate sales, garage sales! Thats where they found that amazing china closet for $20 and sell if for $500.
Now lets start off with the shoes. The following heels were found for $4-$7 DESIGNER names at Goodwill in Baltimore
                         $5             ------------------>
How cute are those neon pink shoes!? Great for color blocking and only $5. Then white heels where super cute too! Looked up the designer retailed around $50...goodwill $4 and they look like they were NEVER WORN!!!! Along with the red and pink there wasn't a scratch on them!
These black beauties had my heart going! Again without a scratch on them designers like Nine West and Bakers for $5-$6. Love these heels? Run to goodwill ;) I didn't buy any of them. All though it was hard to pass up of classic black pumps I just couldn't bare to make my heel collection hit the 70's....I really need to give up some. IT'S JUST SO HARD!!!!
Now on to the clothing
You can REALLY find some amazing pieces! You just have to try EVERYTHING on! You think it has a glimmer of hope, try it on and remember almost everything can be altered and for little money. Or you could do it yourself. For <-------example I found this t-shirt for $1. It was big and big shirts really aren't my thing BUT you can alter it in to an off the shoulder shirt or tank!
 Then this beauty down below fit like a glove...except on my waist. I have a tiny waist and it just didn't hit the way I wanted to there. So belt it!
The sleeves made it for me. I found it unique and it's sooo softttttt
Best place to find that blazer everyone's wearing? Thrift store! They usually have them for under $6 and are way better and more structured to hit your body right then the Forever 21 ones they are selling for $30+. They look great with jeans, t-shirt, or just a tank. Again they can always be altered. I lost count of how many times I've ripped out shoulder pads. Above is a perfect velvet blazer I bought for only $3! Classic Black blazer over there--->
Jacket below is one I altered. I really wanted a studded leather but for hundreds of dollars I wasn't totally ready to shell out the money. Leather Jacket $9 + $11 studs = one kick ass grungey punk jacket
This whole outfit was under $25.....yes even with the boots ---->
Accessories!
This bag ---> $2! Helloooo How could I pass this up? Yeah I know I like my purses like a suitcase. Perfect on the inside too! Not a mark

On to my FAVORITE find!!!!!!!!! This skirt is stunning! STUNNING! The color is so vibrant and the slit is just beautiful! The whole reason why I'm begging for spring to come.
Another favorite, this leather pencil skirt. ----> Love this? I found some kind of version of this in almost every thrift store

Prada at goodwill? Not sure if its real or not? Guessing they thought it was real since it was behind glass for $18 but to write it on the front tag? Come on. I'm not a label person but if this is your thing you could be in luck one day running into on of these --------> Another great thing to look for is furniture. I loved this table ----> I love the details in it. It would of totally been mine if the coffee table wasn't as large as it was. Color doesn't fit your decor? Paint it!! Paint can be pricey but in Baltimore you can get a gallon of paint any color for $5 at the loading dock or a HUGE bucket of it for $20. You can also get other great things there for your home if you are redoing it. 

My china closet I found thrifting for only $25! I'm in love with it. I love everything about it. Eventually I may, MAY paint it but for now I love the color.


Now remember to 
DIG!
Don't get discourage 
 (it can get frustrating when you don't find something so start small. Look at shoes and purses and build yourself up to clothing.)
Things can be altered
Check for holes, stains, threading coming out
Be creative
(Some of the most unique, interesting outfits come from thrifting)
Check the sign up front. They have sales.
(for example- one place I went to had anything marked with a "y" 50% off or a green or red tag 50%. Thats where you can get the find for 50 cents or $1)
 

                              Not sure where Thrift shops are in your area?
^ put in your zip code and tons come up ^


Send me your pictures of your finds!!
Good luck
&
Happy Thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment